Friday, May 3, 2013

In Lieu of Empty Space

It's been a month and a half since I wrote on this blog. I told so many people about our adventure, gave them the link to this blog, and then promptly dropped off the map.

The truth is, there was too much to tell. The stories kept building up, I kept scribbling notes, and then found a kind of pathological phobia of the Internet. So the stories went untold and here I am checking in from the other side of a lifetime.

I'm in San Marcos la Laguna, Guatemala, learning permaculture up in the mountains. The rainy season has begun and every evening we get torrential downpours.

Nick is also here, but he's been learning how to weave the Guatemalan way and working with maguey, the agave plant tequila is made of, which is also one of the most traditional materials of peoples from Oaxaca on south. He's leaving in two days to return to Oregon. Bolivia is off the table.

I'll be here another week, then visiting Antigua, and then deciding between coming back for more time, visiting El Salvador, or just returning to Colorado.

The stories are rich and difficult. There were so many conversations, so many views of different aspects of globalization and the role of travel in a person's life. I will gradually leak them out to anyone who's interested in reading them.

In the meantime, know that I am alive, and extremely happy working with my hands in the dirt. Nick, I believe has settled much in his soul and is returning home, feeling that he has accomplished what he set out for.

In the coming weeks (hopefully) I will share stories, poems, and observations.

With love,
Travis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous, i bet rain looks amazing over there. Guess you experience more things than the ones you can tell, if you have the chance to freeze some memories in a picture and share will be an awesome extra bonus. Take care Travis the traveler :3 -Naya-